The team at Fisher & Orfaly Dental want to help make taking care of your children’s teeth fun. Here are some tips.
1. Make brushing your teeth twice a day for two minutes each time an event. Play your child’s favorite music for two minutes (you can even make up a fun dance to go with the music). Or, read from your child’s favorite book for the two minutes.
2. Reward good brushing. Maybe you let them pick the book you read at bedtime or make a sticker chart. Or, simply ask to see their pearly whites and give them a high five.
3. Go shopping together and let them pick out their toothbrush and toothpaste. We at Fisher & Orfaly Dental recommend buying products that have the American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance.
4. All of the products have popular children characters on them. This makes it fun and exciting for kids.
5. If they cannot find a character they like, make up a story in which they are the superhero fighting the “bad guys” that want to start cavities.
6. Make brushing a family affair. Remember, your children learn from you so set a good example.
7. Start a routine and stick to it. You may be tempted to let them skip brushing their teeth after a long day but do not. The more brushing becomes second nature the easier it will be for them to maintain good oral hygiene habits for a lifetime.