The American Dental Association recommends that you brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes each time with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
To review the proper brushing technique, here are the essentials.
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
- Move the brush back and forth in gentle, short strokes.
- Tilt the brush vertically and make several up-and-down strokes to clean the inside surface of the front teeth.
- Brush your tongue to help fight against bad breath by removing bacteria that hide in the bumps and grooves of your tongue.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3 months or sooner if the bristles become frayed.